Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Columnar Apple Tree Harvest




Columnar Apple Trees


 
I have two columnar apple trees, one I believe is a Brae burn and I can not remember the other. I purchased them from the Saturday Market in Oregon City, OR about two years ago now.

Columnar apple trees are easy to grow and a great addition to a small backyard garden. They produce a approx 40- 80 apples depending on size and type. 

They do not grow as big as normal apple trees. I have a 4 ft tree and a 5.5ft tree. This is ideal for me as the apples are within reach to pick. You can let them grow taller if you like, but they do not grow outwards or wider than pictured.

I do not recommend pots for these trees, I tried it and it worked for the 1st year, however we got some short very hot spells and it wiped out one of my trees and I had no harvest. This year they were planted in the ground and were much more tolerant to the weather and had a great production of apples.

Here are some photos from Spring - September from bloom to harvest.


April 2012
Just starting to bud

Apple blossom

5 1/2 ft tree waking up in spring

June 2012 apples are growing

5 1/2 ft Columnar apple tree harvest 2012

5 1/2 ft Columnar apple tree September 2012 Harvest

September 2012 Harvest from 4ft Columnar apple tree

4ft columnar apple tree Sept. 2012


Here is this years harvest! I have made excellent apple pie so far and some delicious apple sauce and the apples are good for eating right off the tree. I did not use any pesticide on them and I had no worms.

No comments:

Post a Comment